The failure being addressed occurs only with the following configuration.
- Clients machines are Vista SP1 and greater or Windows Server 2008 SP1 or greater.
- The package is run under the context of the local system which can be achieved by using the psexec.exe available from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx
- The source Windows Server 2008 has the SMB 2.0 enabled which is the default setting.
- The following policies have been implemented on the server with the anonymous share.
- Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares has been disabled.
- Network access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users is enabled.
- Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously.
The share that has the installation package is to added to this policy.