Description: The Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update is a software update that addresses common application compatibility issues in Windows Vista. Microsoft regularly releases Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Application Compatibility Updates. When you try to install and run certain legacy games or applications in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- The game, the application, or the firmware may not be installed correctly.
- The game, the application, or the firmware may cause system instability.
- The primary functions of the game, the application, or the firmware may not work correctly.
Update type: Recommended
Release date: August 12, 2008
Applies to: All versions
Knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954366
Comments: Windows Vista Application Compatibility Updates are cumulative. Each update contains all the improvements that were included in previous application compatibility updates. For a complete list of the applications that have been addressed by application compatibility updates, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
953960 How to obtain the latest Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update and the applications that are included in Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update
Applications that are included in the August 2008 update:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – Updated to improve functionality
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 – Updated to improve functionality
- Saming One Key Recovery 5.0 – Hard blocked