Robocopy.exe utility incorrectly skips some files during the file copy or backup process in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008
Consider the following scenario:
- You use the Robocopy.exe utility to copy or backup files on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
- The names of the files contain East Asian characters, for example Japanese characters.
In this scenario, some files may not be copied and the Robocopy.exe utility does not report an error.
Here is a sample scenario:
- You have the following two files on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
- ?.txt (“chouon” character)
- ?.txt (“em dash” character)
- -.txt (“en dash” character)
- You try to copy these files to a destination folder by using the Robocopy.exe utility.
In this scenario, the Robocopy.exe utility incorrectly believes that their file names are identical and only one of the files is copied. Additionally, no error is reported.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB2646454.