“Word did not save the document” error message when you try to save a document in Windows 7, in Windows Server 2008 R2, in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008
Consider the following scenario:
- On a computer that is running one of the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 7
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- You browse to a Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) site.
- On the WebDAV site, you locate a document, and then you open the document by using Microsoft Word 2010 or an earlier version.
- On the same WebDAV site, you locate an earlier version of the document, and then you open the document in read-only mode.
- You switch the view to the latest version of the document.
- You make some changes to the document, and then you try to save the document.
In this scenario, you cannot save the document, and you receive an error message that resembles the following:
Word did not save the document
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB2479169.