An event log may not be saved when you click “Save and Clear” for an event log in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008
Consider the following scenario:
- You have a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista.
- You perform one of the following operations:
- You filter and save the event logs in the .txt format by using Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc).
- You click the Save and Clear button to save and clear the event logs that are in the .txt format by using Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc).
In this scenario, the event logs are truncated, or no event logs are saved.
For example, you follow these steps to save the event log:
- Click Start, click Run, type Eventvwr.msc, and then click OK.
- Click the Action tab, and then click Open saved log.
- Right-click the log, and select Filter Current Log.
- Filter the log, and then click the Save Filtered Log File As button in the Action pane on the right side.
- In the Save as type drop-down list, click Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt).
- Type a file name, and then click Save.
In this example, you experience one of the following results:
- A .txt file that has 0 (zero) bytes is generated.
- The event logs are truncated.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB2417105.