You cannot open the generated .tif file after you print a Word document or an Excel workbook to a fax device in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008
Consider the following scenario.
- You have a document that has two or more pages. One of the pages has a different orientation layout than the other pages. For example:
- You have a Microsoft Word document that contains two pages. The first page uses Portrait orientation. The second page uses Landscape orientation.
- You have a Microsoft Office Excel workbook that contains two sheets. The first sheet uses Portrait orientation. The second sheet uses Landscape orientation.
- You print the document to a fax device in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008.
- In the New Fax dialog box, you open the attachment which is a .tif file.
In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
Photo Gallery can’t open this picture or video. This file format is not supported, or you don’t have the latest updates to Photo Gallery.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB2394535.