You cannot open a shared file that is hosted on a Windows Server 2008-based or Windows Vista-based computer
Consider the following scenario:
- You have a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista.
- You share some files on the computer.
- The computer is under a heavy load situation.
- You open a shared file, and you make some changes from a remote computer.
- You close the shared file, and then you try to open it again.
In this scenario, you receive an “access denied” error.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB2231728.