You are not prompted to supply new credentials when you try to log on to a WebDav folder by using incorrect saved credentials in Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
You use incorrect saved credentials to log on to a Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) web folder on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008. However, the web clients do not prompt you to supply new credentials.
Consider the following example:
- In a domain environment, you host some documents in a Microsoft Office SharePoint site on a server. The SharePoint site is configured to use digest authentication.
- On a Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008-based client that is not part of the domain, you use Windows Internet Explorer to visit the SharePoint site.
- You supply the correct credentials and enable the Remember my password option. Then, you log on to the website successfully and save the credentials.
- You visit the document library that stores the documents, and then you click Open with Windows Explorer.
- You are prompted to supply your credentials again. You supply the correct credentials again and enable Remember my password option. Then, you open the document library in Windows Explorer successfully.
- You change the password for the credential that you use.
- You log on the SharePoint site again. You supply the new password and log on to the website successfully.
- You visit the document library again, and then you click Open with Windows Explorer.
In this scenario, you are not prompted to input the correct password. Therefore, you cannot open the document library in Windows Explorer.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB981879.