Installing an MSI package from an anonymous file share on Operating Systems greater than Vista RTM can fail with the MSI error 1619 “The installation package could not be opened”
The failure being addressed occurs only with the following configuration.
- Clients machines are Vista SP1 and greater or Windows Server 2008 SP1 or greater.
- The package is run under the context of the local system which can be achieved by using the psexec.exe available from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx
- The source Windows Server 2008 has the SMB 2.0 enabled which is the default setting.
- The following policies have been implemented on the server with the anonymous share.
- Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares has been disabled.
- Network access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users is enabled.
- Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously.
The share that has the installation package is to added to this policy.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB2022222.