Files print in an incorrect order when the collate option is selected in Windows Vista SP2 or in Windows Server 2008 SP2
Consider the following scenario:
- You try to print a file on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
- The printer uses the WinPrint print processor.
- The file contains only one page. However, the printed output contains more than one page.
- You print more than one copy of the file.
- You select the Collate option in the Print dialog box.
In this scenario, the output is ordered as if the Collate option is not selected.
Note: Printers may have several features that can cause the printed output to contain more pages than the original file. This includes the following features:
- Add front or back covers
- Insert pages at specified locations in a print job
- Insert separator pages
- Print with a saved job. For example, adding a cover letter to a saved document and printing them together as one job.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB977263.