You are unable to update the target location of offline file shares in the offline file client side cache without administrative permission
Consider the following scenario:
- The folder redirection feature is enabled in the domain.
- You enable the Offline file feature on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista.
- You access a shared folder from this computer or you use the folder redirection feature to redirect some folders in the user profile to some shared folders on a file server.
- You change the target location of the shared folder or the target location of the redirected folders to a new one location.
- The new target location does not exist in the offline file client-side cache.
- No files or folders are being used in the shared folder.
In this scenario, you are unable to update the record of the target location of the shared folder in the offline file client side cache without the administrative privilege. However, you are able to perform the same actions without the administrative privilege in Windows XP.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB976698.