Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) on Windows Vista and Windows 7 does not recognize a username change
If a username has been changed on a system, Remote Desktop sessions into that computer cannot login with the new username. The old username and password still work.
Consider the following scenario:
- Install Windows 7 on two systems
- Setup both systems with a password
- On the host system, in the remote tab of system properties, select “Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop”
- On the host system, change the username and restart
- On the client system, open the Remote Desktop Connection application and enter the computer name of the host system
- When prompted, enter the new username and password of the primary user account on the host system. Note that you are unable to connect
- Enter the old username and password. You are now able to connect
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB2004240.