No sound from a multimedia device that is connected over an HDMI connection to a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
Consider the following scenario:
- You install hotfix 960044, hotfix 959458, or the latest service pack on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
- You connect the computer to a multimedia device over a High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connection.
- The HDMI input on the multimedia device does not support the Windows Media Audio Pro (WMA Pro) format, the DTS audio format, or the Dolby Digital format.
- DTS Audio, WMA Pro, and Dolby Digital are not selected on the Supported Formats tab in the Sound item in Control Panel.
- You play media files whose audio is encoded in the Windows Media Audio Pro format, the DTS audio format, or the Dolby digital format.
In this scenario, you cannot hear any sound from the multimedia device.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB973590.