No print output when using an XPS-based printer driver on Microsoft Windows Vista for a shared printer from Microsoft Windows 7 or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
When printing to a shared printer, no output appears on the printer, and no print job shows up in the server’s print queue. This will occur if the following conditions are true:
- The Print Server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7.
- The Client is running Windows Vista.
- The print driver used for the shared printer is an XPS-based print driver which utilizes Windows 7 specific APIs such as rasterization service.
- The Sharing tab for the printer has “Render print jobs on client computers” selected.
- The user on the client computer is not an administrator on the Print Server.
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB2001223.