Windows Sidebar customizations are lost when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer that has hotfix 943411 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 installed
Considering the following scenario:
- On a Windows Vista-based computer, you modify the Settings.ini file to customize the Windows Sidebar. This file is located in the following folder:
- You install hotfix 943411 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 on the computer.
In this scenario, when you log on to the computer with a user account that has never logged on to the computer before, the Windows Sidebar customizations are lost.
Note: The Windows Sidebar customizations include the following settings:
- Whether the Windows Sidebar should start when Windows Vista starts
- Whether the Windows Sidebar should be visible on the desktop or should be displayed as a tray icon
- Which gadgets should be displayed by default. These may include OEM gadgets
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB958330.