MS08-052: Vulnerabilities in GDI+ Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Description: This security update resolves several privately reported vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows GDI+. These vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user viewed a specially crafted image file using affected software or browsed a Web site that contains specially crafted content. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than users who operate with administrative user rights. The security update addresses the vulnerabilities by modifying the way that GDI+ handles viewing malformed images.
Update type: Critical
Release date: September 9, 2008
Applies to: All
Knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938464
Comments: Here are the specifics on the vulnerabilities covered by this update:
- GDI+ VML Buffer Overrun Vulnerability – CVE-2007-5348
- GDI+ EMF Memory Corruption Vulnerability – CVE-2008-3012
- GDI+ GIF Parsing Vulnerability – CVE-2008-3013
- GDI+ WMF Buffer Overrun Vulnerability – CVE-2008-3014
- GDI+ BMP Integer Overflow Vulnerability – CVE-2008-3015
For more information on this issue, including potential causes, workarounds, and resolutions, see: Microsoft KB Article KB938464.